WHELEHANS HEALTH BLOG


Whelehans Health Blog

Sunday 18 October 2015

Arthritis: Can natural medicines help?

Self-help
  • Find a balance between exercise and rest. Swimming is an excellent activity because it strengthens your muscles and joints without putting any strain on them.
  • Losing excess weight will reduce the pressure on your joints.
  • Try to eat a healthy, balanced diet and cut down on saturated fats.
  • A hot water bottle is useful when joints feel stiff and painful; try an ice pack if they are hot and irritated.
Natural medicines: are any effective?
As a pharmacist I am often asked what natural medicines are beneficial to those living with arthritis including the likes of Osteoarthritis (the most common type of arthritis and caused by wear and tear) and Rheumatoid Arthritis (the most debilitating form of arthritis caused by severe inflammation of the joints). For today’s talk, we don’t have the time for me to discuss all natural medicines but I will discuss a few of the most popular ones. There are thousands of natural and herbal pain relief products marketed in magazines, newspapers, the internet, health food shops etc. and most have little or no evidence and are gimmicks to help you part with your money (as when you are in constant pain you will try anything to try relieve it). My main advice, before try any alternative, natural or herbal product, check with a health professional like your pharmacist or GP first as they will advise you if there is any evidence of effectiveness and more importantly on any interactions with other medicines you are taking or potential side effects.

Omega 3 Fish oils
·         Fish oil is recommended for a healthy diet because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), precursors to eicosanoids that reduce inflammation throughout the body.
·         Because of their anti-inflammatory effect they tend to be more beneficial to those living with Rheumatoid arthritis rather than Osteoarthritis.
·         Omega 3 fatty acids are primarily found in oily fish such as salmon, fresh tuna, mackerel, herring, sardines and pilchards. We should eat two portions of fish per week, one of them oily.
  • I am often asked which Omega 3 supplement is most effective for reducing inflammation and helping ease arthritis type pain and swelling.
  • One I find good results with is an Omega 3 product on the market called “Lyprinol®”.
  • It appears to demonstrate quite a powerful anti-inflammatory effect and comes with none of the fishy taste associated with traditional fish oils and side-effects commonly seen with steroids or prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as NSAIDs (eg) ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen
  • Lyprinol® comes from the New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, which has long been recognised by the Maori people for its nutritional qualities. Lyprinol® is said to be 200 to 300 times more inflammatory action than other fish oils and flax seed. As a result, Lyprinol® has been shown in research to be beneficial for arthritis and joint pain.
Flexiseq®- a new drug free gel for Osteoarthritis
Is it worth trying?

Flexiseq® is new drug-free joint pain gel for osteoarthritis. Flexiseq® has got a lot of attention due to comments from the likes of Arthritis Ireland and experts.

Flexiseq® was researched and developed in Germany for the management of pain and joint stiffness in patients with osteoarthritis. Flexiseq® is a gel containing nanostructures called Sequessome™ vesicles, which are able to cross the skin and target sites of pain when rubbed in. Once inside the joint, Sequessome vesicles accumulate on the damaged cartilage forming a lubricating layer.

Research shows is benefits in relieving pain with comparable efficacy to celecoxib, a leading prescription drug used for treating osteoarthritis pain. Daily application in the morning and evening can potentially give improvement in joint pain in as little as two days.

Medical device…not a drug
Flexiseq® is registered as a medical device; thus Flexiseq® does not contain any pharmaceutically active ingredients meaning it doesn't contain any drugs that might interact with medication you may be taking for pain or any other ailment.

John Church, CEO of Arthritis Ireland said “We welcome any new innovative approach to making life easier for the 450,000 people living with osteoarthritis in Ireland.”

Professor Philip Conaghan, from the University of Leeds, and lead author of a major study published in the British medical journal called Rheumatology said: “Many living with chronic osteoarthritis pain can’t take or can’t tolerate current oral analgesics because of side effects.  Referring to his study involving Flexiseq he said “the new study is interesting because it suggests that a novel topical therapy, that doesn't include a topical anti-inflammatory drug, may help osteoarthritis pain”.

Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements have traditionally been used to provide pain relief for osteoarthritis pain. These chemicals are found naturally in cartilage and are thought to improve the condition of damaged cartilage in osteoarthritis. They may also slow down thinning of the cartilage. However, there is not enough evidence yet to prove that glucosamine and chondroitin help osteoarthritis. In fact, NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) who advice the NHS in the UK on what medicines are effective, cost effective safe etc., advise that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements should not be allowed on NHS prescriptions due to little evidence of their efficacy. The HSE has followed NICE’s advice and Glucosamine  was  taken off the GMS list in 2012 (meaning it was no longer covered by the medical card) with the HSE citing lack of evidence of effectiveness as the reason to no longer allow.


Lyprinol® and Flexiseq®, Glucosamine etc. are alternative therapies; they should not replace conventional treatments prescribed by your doctor. It can complement other arthritis treatments. Always consult your doctor. 
 
For comprehensive and free health advice and information call in to Whelehans, log on to www.whelehans.ie or dial 04493 34591.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. (MUST READ: RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS CURE)
    In 2014 I started having pain in my left foot. The doctor tested me for gout and it was negative. A couple of months later I started having pain and stiffness in my left hand that was very severe at night. The doctor did blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and I tested positive for anti-CCP (134). Then the pain started spreading to other joints. I was so tired some days that I didn't feel like driving myself home from work. My eyes were dry and irritated and I had a dry cough. All medications given by my rheumatologist were really not helping. Finally i started on Newlife Rheumatoid arthritis herbal formula in 2016, just 3 weeks into the RA herbal formula usage some symptoms had seized. When i finally completed the herbs usage all symptoms including aching joints, stiffness, pain and fatigue dissapeared. (Visit www. newlifeherbalclinic. com or email info@ newlifeherbalclinic. com). I recommend this herbal treatment for all RA sufferers, its a final breakthrough for all suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanna say a big thank you Sandra Precious for introducing me to Dr Odila the great HERBALIST that helped me prepare home remedies that cured my sister CHRONIC PAIN CALLED ARTHRITIS AND CANCER DISEASE

      She was infected with Arthritis. and cancer for the past two years and she was not happy all day so i was desperate to get a cure so that she can live normal and get healthy.
      One day i was less busy so i decided to make latest research on chronic and cancer cure and i found a site were everyone was talking about Dr Odila and has ability to cure Arthritis and cancer and all manners of diseases and virus.
      So i discussed with Sandra Precious and she explained to me that its very easy working with Dr Odila so i contacted Dr Odila via email (drodilaherbalhome@gmail.com) and he helped me just as he has helped others now my sister is now cured she is very happy now.
      and i can also assure you that he can also help you. so if you need the service of DR Odila, ill put his details here so that you can easily get in touch with him. contact him drodilaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348159047935
      he can as well cure Psorasis, copd, Extreme vaginal burning & pain, Reoccurent vaginal yeast infections, Candida overgrowth, Cystitis, cancer,ALS, Alzheimer's Disease and other Dementias, Arthritis, Asthma,Cystic Fibrosis,kidney disease,Herpes,hiv, hpv.Seizures visit his website https://drodilaherbalhome.weebly.com/ here is my private email: viviansharon11@gmail.com.


      Delete
    2. MY DAUGHTER CANCER HEALING TESTIMONEY

      Hi everyone, this is good news, a perfect and greats one. My daughter of
      17years who has suffered of Ovarian Cancer for 2 and half years has been
      cure by a Herbal doctor called Dr voodoo, who uses herbal and traditional
      medicine to cure people. I have spent so much on my daughter's health for
      years but no improvement. A friend told me about this herbal man who cure
      people with herbal medicine. he cures all sickness, diseases, viruses, and
      infections with his different herbal curing medicine.The result that
      declares my daughter janet healed was from a hospital here in USA, And the
      results of the test says my daughter was okay. Dr voodoo directed that
      janet would be heal in 7days if she uses the medicine as directed. And
      7days later, we went to confirm from the central hospital and several test
      that was done says my daughter is not sick or anything. So she was cured by
      this herbal doctor in 7days. This amaze me though. I would advice everyone
      to meet this Dr voodoo his email is voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
      for his herbal medicine to cure your illness because am happy to see my
      daughter healthy again.Meet Dr voodoo and set yourself and your love ones
      will free you can also add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I began experiencing sharp pain and stiffness in my right hand. This pain always occurs in the morning and may not go away. I thought that I hurt my hand somehow but I could not remember what I did. I also began to experience extreme fatigue and malaise. About 4 months later, I went to the doctor and after many repeat blood tests to rule out Lyme disease and Lupus, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I was adjusting to the medications Plaquenil and methotrexate, but they make me feel sick also. I had a ringing in my ears and loss of appetite. I sometimes had problems writing, dressing, or writing with my right hand.When the medication no longer helps, i was introduced to Health herbal clinic in Johannesburg who have successful herbal treatment to rheumatoid arthritis diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in United States and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the rheumatoid arthritis herbal remedy and commenced usage, i used the herbal supplement for only 5 weeks, all symptoms gradually faded away, herbs are truly gift from God. contact this herbal clinic via their email healthherbalclinic @ gmail. com or visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for my whole life, it started about in my early 30s back in the 90s. I would have my hand swell up to big red balloons around my knuckles and I wouldn't be able to move the hands at all. What I did notice that helped relieve the pain, but not the swelling was Absorbine Jr. The arthritis cream made it easier with the stiffness and the pain when I had the worst conditions. The swelling and the movement were still bad though and sometimes that made it hard to do the easiest of tasks around the house. The thing I noticed at first and the early signs were pain and the swelling. The swelling where my knuckles would get red where the first indications that I had rheumatoid arthritis I searched for alternative treatments and started on rheumatoid arthritis herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the rheumatoid arthritis disease natural herbal formula.i read reviews from other previous patients who used the herbal formula,i am now active, i can now go about daily exercise!! Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net herbs are truly gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural supplement will also play a key role in eliminating joint pain in terms of effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone my name is Catherine I'm from Los Angeles. I'm here to tell you about how I lost my husband to a fellow woman after 5 years of marriage with 1 child. My husband left me for a reason I do not know, I worried and cried because I love him and I couldn't live without him,losing him troubled my mind so I told my dear friend Julia about my problem and she told of this man who helps people in a similar situation. I contacted with the man,after he did his job,I started to receive calls and texts from my husband telling me to forgive. Now I'm happy and fulfilled living with my husband and my child now got the opportunity to live with her father. So if are in a similar situation or facing marital difficulty, you can contact him via(dr.alusistanley@gmail.com). He will give you his WhatsApp number himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Diagnosed with Herpes, I have be dealing with Herpes for the past 4 years. On till I got review online about natural cure people testifies how DR. Ehimare cure them with his herbal treatment. And I order the treatment, after taking it for 21 days I totally got cured with DR. Ehimare treatment. I'm recommending you diagnosis with herpes should get this treatment and be cured of it you can contact his email address via; drehimare3@gmail. com or you can also call or whatsapp +1 (267) 691-1087Dr. Ehimare also cure the following virus and many more... 1} Cancer 2} Diabetes 3} Hepatitis 4} fibroid 5} herpes 6} Lupus  

    ReplyDelete